Wilson College Postcards Collection


Wilson College Postcards Collection


Campus Scenes


Postcards History
This collection contains a sample of Wilson College postcards at the Hankey Center and Archives.
Postcards became popular at the end of the 19th century when they were called private mailing cards. In 1901, the name changed to postcard. From 1901 until 1907, the back of the card was only used for the address, which is why some older cards in our collection display the sender’s message on the front. The divided back of the card we are familiar with today, became the norm in 1907.
Throughout the early postcard days until the beginning of World War I, German printers dominated the market of colorful cards. American printers improved and increased production during WW I, however, to save ink, left a white border which identifies a card as being from the time between 1915 and 1930.
After 1930, printers used new processes, which created cards that looked as if printed on linen. These cards were popular until 1945 when Photochrom postcards replaced them.

Works Cited
“Postcard History.” Smithsonian Institution Archives, Smithsonian Institution, 14 April 2022, https://siarchives.si.edu/history/featured-topics/postcard/postcard-history


Buildings and Grounds Collection, HC-03


C. Elizabeth Boyd '33 Archives, Wilson College




For information on copyright or permissions for this collection contact the C. Elizabeth Boyd '33 archives





Collection Items

Aerial View of Wilson College Campus
This image shows an aerial view of the Wilson College campus after 1930.
The card was sent in 1945.

Club Houses
Both club houses were built in the early 1900s from gray stone and overlooked the creek. Until 1912, the Scull and Dagger club and the Aloha Club utilized the buildings. After those clubs were no longer in existence, they served as spots for meetings…

Three Campus Buildings
This card features three campus buildings, Penn Hall, Senior Hall, and President Hall, which is now the Hankey Center. The back of this card shows a postal stamp from 1913.
Penn Hall, or Alumna hall as it was later known, was demolished in the…

View of Norland Hall Across the Green
A view of the Main Green with Norland Hall in the background. Colonel Alexander McClure sold this building to Wilson College in 1868. Norland is designed in the Second Empire Style.
The back features a 1939 message from two alumnae to a…

Views of the Conococheague Creek
These cards show different scenes of the Conococheague Creek that runs through and along the edge of Wilson College Campus.
Conococheague is a Lenape word and translates as “Water of many turns.” This tributary of the Potomac rises in Northwestern…

Fletcher Hall, which does not exist anymore, is to left of Harmony Cottage and South Hall in this image.
Fletcher Hall was purchased in 1892 and rebuilt into a dormitory in 1897. In 1957, the dorm was torn down.
Harmony Cottage was built in 1897…

Edgar Hall
Front view of Edgar Hall, which was built in 1903 and named for Rev. Dr. John Edgar, President of the college from 1883-1894.

This card shows the gymnasium, which was built in 1900 from Trenton limestone with red sandstone trimmings.

Havens Science Center
A view of the original part of today's science center on campus. The Science Center was built in 1967 and named after President emeritus Paul S. Havens. The building provided facilities for the biology, chemistry, physics, and mathematics…

John Stewart Memorial Library
John Stewart Memorial Library, which was built in 1925 and expanded in 2016.

Lortz Hall
A postcard of Lortz Hall with an inscription on the back and a 1926 Postal stamp.
Lortz was built in 1923 as a science hall and later housed the psychology department. Today, it is the art center of the campus.

Main Buildings
This card shows the three main buildings on campus, Norland Hall, Mail Hall, and Edgar Hall. By 1903, the Main Hall Extension and Edgar Hall (at right) had been completed, forming the central complex of College buildings.
This card was…

Norland and Edgar Hall
A view of Norland Hall in the foreground and Edgar Hall in the background. Norland Hall was built in 1855 and rebuilt in 1868.

Riddle Hall
The front entrance of Riddle Hall with students.
Riddle Hall was dedicated in June 1928 and named after long time Wilson Trustee, Henry Alexander Riddle. His daughter, Elisabeth ‘1897, served as hostess to the college at the time of the dormitory’s…

South Hall
South Hall, which was built in 1899 as a student dormitory.

Thomson Music Hall
View of Thomson Music Hall, which was completed in 1903 to provide space for the successful music department of the college. Its architectural design is the Baroque Jacobethan Style and it is composed of mostly limestone and sandstone trims. Thomson…

Warfield Hall
Front view of Warfield Hall, or Recitation Hall as it was originally known. The building was completed in 1930 with classrooms and lecture halls.

Campus View of Thomson Hall
This view shows Thomson Hall to the left and Norland Hall hidden behind the trees to the right. The card was postmarked in 1956.

Campus View with Edgar Hall
A view of the Campus Green with Edgar Hall to the left and Lortz Hall to the right. The card was postmarked in 1929.

Conococheague Creek
A view of the Conococheague with trees and canoes. The back of the card is postmarked 1912.

Main Entrance to Campus
This view of the Main Entrance to campus does not yet show the library, which shows that the image is from before 1925 when the library was built.

Main Entrance
A view of the Main Entrance to Campus prior to 1925 with Norland Hall hidden behind trees to the left.

Main Entrance
View of the front doors of the John Stewart Library though the pillars of the Main Entrance.

Main Entrance
This card shows the pedestrian side of the old Main Entrance to campus with Norland Hall in the background.

John Stewart Library
The historic John Stewart Memorial Library originally opened in 1925 and was later restored and expanded, reopening in spring 2016.

This postcard with a lovely inscription shows a front view of the gymnasium, which was built in 1900.

Warfield Hall
Front view of Warfield Hall, or Recitation Hall as it was originally known. The building was completed in 1930 with classrooms and lecture halls.

Riddle Hall in the Snow
A view of Riddle Hall, the dormitory, in the snow.
View all 28 items