Men's Basketball, Coeds

Title

Men's Basketball, Coeds

Description

The first official men's basketball team from 1946. The team was formed in 1946 when young veterans of World War II joined the campus community due to a shortage of space at co-ed and men’s colleges. They formed a basketball team to “represent our school in the sport world of the Cumberland Valley”. They played the Greencastle vets, Mercersburg Academy, the Gettysburg Seminary and the Wonder Clothes Co. team. Later in the year, a second team calling themselves the Coeds was formed and played its opening game at the Scotland Orphan School against the Letterkenney Generals and later, the Mont Alto Forestry School, Good Will Fire Company, the Chambersburg Engineering Co. and the Chambersburg Wranglers.

Source

Athletic Photo Files

Publisher

C. Elizabeth Boyd '33 Archives, Wilson College

Date

1946

Rights

For information on copyright or permissions for this collection, contact C. Elizabeth Boyd '33 Archives

Format

Image/Jpeg/Tif

Language

English

Type

Image

Files

20634616-Coeds1947.jpg

Citation

“Men's Basketball, Coeds,” Hankey Center for the History of Women's Education, accessed December 8, 2022, https://exhibits.wilson.edu/items/show/579.