During the 1950s, Wilson raised money to build an addition to house the Library's growing collections. The addition was completed in the 1960s.
In 1954 the library had reached 44,000 volumes. By 1961, that number has risen to 72,000.
The addition mainly provided additional space for stacks and study carrels.
Construction of the library addition, March 1961.
In 1956, actor Jimmy Stewart (best known for his roles in classic films such as It's a Wonderful Life and Rear Window) donated $15,000 towards the library addition in memory of his mother, Elizabeth Jackson Stewart, who graduated from Wilson in 1894. The memorial plaque still hangs in the library, near the staff offices.
(Jimmy Stewart was no relation to the library's namesake Justic John Stewart though!)
Additional photographs from the 1950s-1960s: